1. Friend Or Foe*
3. Out Hustl’n*
5. Rain Sleet Or Snow*
6. Weekend Ho*
7. Out Hustl’n (radio version)*
*My favorite tracks
Are YOU down with N.A.P.? Drew, aka Mr. Exclusive, from Fake Shore Drive, has blessed me with this classic 1996 album from Indianapolis rap group, N.A.P. I didn’t live in the Indy area until around 2001, so I have no recollection of these guys. But Drew (who grew up in Indiana) said this record had “a buzz bigger than insects in Texas” (© ‘Ye) in the mid-90′s.
He said it might be “too gangsterish” for me, but despite my affinity for the left-of-center/conscious MC’s, I don’t shy away from classic 90′s gangster ish. No one can deny that Ant Banks sound (which this record has a lot of… heavy West Coast influence).
I need to talk to Top Speed and other longtime pillars of the Indy scene to find out more info. Rusty (of the Mudkids) concurred that this was a huge record in the city, but didn’t know any of them personally. From my research, it looked like they released two other albums, Tales From The Crooked I (1995) and Nappy City Heavyweights (2002), which had the big fella Haystak featured on it… remember him? Can’t find a download link for either of the other albums, however.
1. Nappy city heavyweights [DJ Dev]
2. One tyme [Steve Huff]
3. Freak tonight [Chris Kelly]
4. Crush pillow seats – w/Haystak [L-Juan, Lil Muny, C-Rocc]
5. Foes [Steve Huff]
6. Gett’n by [Steve Huff]
7. They come with game [Chris Kelly]
8. On display [DJ Dev]
9. Weekend ho [Steve Huff]
10. Let’s get this $$$ [Steve Huff]
11. Summer tyme [Chris Kelly]
12. Huckle buck [Chris Kelly]
13. Never ending game [Steve Huff]
14. The letter [Chris Kelly]
15. Who am I, who are you [DJ Dev]
16. Nappy city heavyweights (remix) [DJ Dev]
If anyone has more info about N.A.P., let me know.